How To

How To Treat Poison Ivy


How To Treat Poison Ivy

Share this article
How To Treat Poison Ivy

How To Treat Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy: A Comprehensive Guide to Treatment and Prevention

Poison ivy is a common skin irritant that affects millions of people each year. The rash caused by poison ivy is characterized by red, itchy, and swollen skin. In severe cases, the rash can lead to blisters, fever, and swelling of the lymph nodes.

The active ingredient in poison ivy is urushiol, a resin found in the leaves, stems, and roots of the plant. Contact with urushiol can cause an allergic reaction in some people. The severity of the reaction can vary from person to person, depending on the amount of exposure to urushiol and the individual’s immune response.


The goal of poison ivy treatment is to relieve symptoms and prevent complications. There is no cure for poison ivy, but treatment can help to minimize the severity of the rash and speed up healing.

The most common treatment for poison ivy is calamine lotion. Calamine lotion is a topical solution that contains zinc oxide and calamine. These ingredients help to soothe itching and inflammation. Calamine lotion can be applied to the affected area several times a day as needed.

Other over-the-counter medications that can help to relieve itching and inflammation include:

  • Hydrocortisone cream
  • Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
  • Loratadine (Claritin)
  • Cetirizine (Zyrtec)

If the rash is severe, your doctor may prescribe a stronger topical corticosteroid or oral antihistamine. In some cases, oral steroids may be necessary to control inflammation.

In rare cases, poison ivy can lead to a severe allergic reaction called anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis is a medical emergency that requires immediate medical attention. Symptoms of anaphylaxis include:

  • Difficulty breathing
  • Swelling of the face, tongue, or throat
  • Dizziness
  • Lightheadedness
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of consciousness

If you experience any of these symptoms, call 911 immediately.


The best way to prevent poison ivy is to avoid contact with the plant. However, if you come into contact with poison ivy, there are a few things you can do to reduce your risk of developing a rash:

  • Wash your skin with soap and water as soon as possible after contact with poison ivy.
  • Remove any clothing or shoes that have come into contact with the plant.
  • Wash clothing and shoes thoroughly in hot water.
  • Do not scratch the rash. Scratching can irritate the skin and make the rash worse.
  • Apply calamine lotion or another over-the-counter treatment to the affected area as needed.


Q: What is the difference between poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac?

A: Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are all plants that contain urushiol. They are all capable of causing a rash. However, poison ivy is the most common cause of rash in North America.

Q: How long does it take for poison ivy to develop a rash?

A: The rash from poison ivy usually develops within 12-48 hours of contact with the plant. However, it can take up to 10 days for the rash to fully develop.

Q: How long does the poison ivy rash last?

A: The poison ivy rash usually lasts for 1-2 weeks. However, it can take longer for the rash to heal in some cases.

Q: Can poison ivy spread to other parts of my body?

A: Yes, poison ivy can spread to other parts of your body if you scratch the rash or touch the rash with your hands. To prevent the rash from spreading, keep the rash clean and covered.

Q: Can I get poison ivy more than once?

A: Yes, you can get poison ivy more than once. Once you have been exposed to urushiol, you become sensitized to the substance. This means that you are more likely to develop a rash if you come into contact with poison ivy again.

Q: What should I do if I get poison ivy in my eyes?

A: If you get poison ivy in your eyes, flush your eyes with water for 15 minutes. Then, call your doctor.

Q: What should I do if I get poison ivy on my genitals?

A: If you get poison ivy on your genitals, wash the area with soap and water. Then, apply a cold compress to the area. Call your doctor if the rash is severe or if you have any other symptoms, such as pain or difficulty urinating.